San Joaquin County Superior Court
Pay Traffic Ticket

General Information
News and Media
Case Inquiry
Jury Duty
Grand Jury
Site Map
ADA Information

Free Download of Adobe Acrobat Reader
Free tools that allow visually disabled users to read documents in Adobe PDF format spacer pixel
spacer pixel

Domestic Violence

Information to Victims of Domestic Violence

For information about a shelter or other community services available in San Joaquin County or proper procedures for a victim to follow after a sexual assault, you may contact the Women's Center (209) 941-2611 or the Battered Women's Crisis Line, (209) 465-4878, or the Sexual Assault Line (209)464-4997. For counseling services and assistance in typing up restraining orders please call the Victim-Witness Program of the District Attorney's Office (209) 468-2500.

Other services in the community that may be of assistance to you:

  • For legal assistance contact: Lawyer Referral Service (209) 948-4620
  • When child abuse has occurred contact: Child Protective Services (209) 468-1333
  • Victim/Witness (209) 468-2500

If you are a domestic violence victim, you can file a petition in Superior Court. Your petition may request any of the following orders for your protection:

  • That your attacker must stop abusing you and other family or household members.
  • That your attacker must leave the household.
  • That your attacker must stay away from the home, school, business, or place of work of you or other family or household members.
  • That you or the other parent have custody of or visitation with a minor child or children.
  • That your attacker must not molest or interfere with minor children in your custody.
  • That the person not having custody of the minor children must pay for their support, if that person must do so by law.
  • That your attacker must pay certain debts which come due while the order is in effect.
  • That you or your attacker, or both, go to counseling.
No matter what you or your attacker do or say after the court makes the orders, they will remain in effect. Only the court can change them.

You should know that even if the police have arrested your attacker, release from prison or jail may happen at any time. It is your responsibility to request notification of an inmate's release, if you want that information.

You can ask the District Attorney to file a criminal complaint against your attacker. You also have the right to file a civil suit for losses suffered as a result of the abuse. These losses may include doctor or hospital bills, wages, and any other related expenses incurred by you or any agency that sheltered you.

Sexual assault by a person who is known to the victim, including sexual assault by a person who is the spouse of the victim, is a crime.

Previous Page Prev Next Next Page

If you are experiencing techical problems with the court's website, please contact the webmaster. Please note: if you have questions regarding your case and you email the webmaster, you will not receive a reponse back from the court.
[Privacy Policy]