San Joaquin County Superior Court
Pay Traffic Ticket

General Information
News and Media
Case Inquiry
Jury Duty
Grand Jury
Site Map
ADA Information

Free Download of Adobe Acrobat Reader
Free tools that allow visually disabled users to read documents in Adobe PDF format spacer pixel
spacer pixel

Where Can You File Your Claim?

You must sue in the right court. This rule is called venue. If you file your claim in the wrong court, the court will dismiss the claim unless all defendants personally appear at the hearing and agree that the claim may be heard.

The right court may be any of these:
  • Where the defendant lives or where the business is located;
  • Where the contract was signed or carried out;
  • Where the damage or accident happened;
  • If the defendant is a corporation, where the contract was broken;
  • For a retail installment account or sales contract or a motor vehicle finance sale;
    • Where the buyer lived when the contract was entered into;
    • Where the buyer signed the contract;
    • Where the goods or vehicle are permanently kept.
Previous Page Prev Next Next Page

If you are experiencing techical problems with the court's website, please contact the webmaster. Please note: if you have questions regarding your case and you email the webmaster, you will not receive a reponse back from the court.
[Privacy Policy]