To Attend Traffic School
To be eligible to attend traffic school, you must meet the following requirements:
- You cannot be assigned to, nor have attended traffic school in the last 18 months.
- If charged with a speeding violation, the speed must not have been in excess of 100 m.p.h.
- If charged with a speeding violation, the speed must not have been in excess of 25 m.p.h. over the posted speed limit.
- You must be charged with an infraction.
- The section(s) cannot require a mandatory appearance.
- Certain serious vehicle code violations are not eligble for traffic school.
If you meet these requirements and wish to attend Traffic School, you will be required to pay an Administrative Fee, PLUS the amount of bail indicated on your courtesy notice. Checks may be made payable to Superior Court. There will be a separate fee collected by the Traffic School you choose to attend. Upon receiving proof of completion of Traffic School in a timely manner, your case will be deemed a "confidential conviction" rather than a "dismissal". The confidential conviction will be masked and held confidential by DMV. Only one conviction within 18 months will be held confidential.
For Commercial Drivers:
- If you hold a commercial driver's license and were driving a commercial vehicle you are not eligible for traffic school.
- Effective January 1, 2013, California Vehicle Code (VC 42005) states that drivers with a commercial driver's license can only attend traffic school if they were not driving a commercial vehicle. Upon completion, the record of conviction will not be held confidential, but the conviction will not add a point count to the DMV record.
To find a classroom traffic school near you or to find a traffic school on-line, please follow the instructions below:
- Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website
- When on the DMV website, click the “I Agree” radio button and then click the “Access the System” button.
- Using the drop down box, select “Traffic School List” and click the “Continue” button.
- After reading the provided information, click the “Get Traffic School List” button.
- Continue to follow the provided steps to obtain a list of classroom, home study, or internet traffic school providers.
- The Court assumes no liability when defendants choose this option.